It started over Thanksgiving break. Grandma baked the gingerbread for us but we ran out of time and didn't get to build them together. We decided we would wait for Nana to come to make it. So a week and a half later we started again.
I decided to try making boiled icing instead of the normal butter cream because it hardens like concrete making a much more solid structure. I've never made boiled icing before. I don't know if I didn't boil the sugar long enough or I ruined it by sticking my finger in it but it just wouldn't set up.
We even stuck it outside in the cold for an hour but it wasn't doing it's job. Here they are waiting:
So we stuck it in the fridge and decided to wait another day. The boys and I finished it up the next day. Brecken was an excellent roofer. Caden was good at eating the candy!
I think I need Grandma to teach me how to make boiled icing before we do this again next year.
3 comments:
We use a royal icing that is super duper easy to make and it works better than any other types I've tried. I also have a few tricks that I'll have to share to make gingerbed hose making a cinch fo even a 3 yearold.
But hey yours turned out awesome. And eating the cany is the best part.
sweet, I could definitely use the recipe and tips!
Julie is a gingerbread pro, but here's the icing recipe I use: 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, 1 egg white, 1/8 tsp cream of tartar.
Post a Comment