Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Guess Who Came to Our House Today


Did you guess the Sheriff and the fire department? Such excitement. I decided I would can some home made applesauce today. It was going really well. The kids were behaving, Lana was taking a good nap.

Then the fire alarm went off. Normally that wouldn't be a problem. A few months ago, however, we had a security system installed in our house that is also connected to our fire alarms. Handy dandy right? (I had burned the bottom of a pan).

I ran and got the broom to push the button on the alarm way up on our vaulted ceiling and pulled the battery out of the hallway alarm. But there was still a little voice coming out of this little box in my kitchen. It kept telling me that the fire alarm was sounding. I couldn't remember how to disarm the crazy thing. After about five minutes I finally figured it out and got it shut off.

Then Branson called. "Are you guys ok?" he asked. Our alarm system people had called him. They had also called me but I couldn't find the phone in the applesauce making mess in time to answer it. Branson told me I'd better call the fire department before they got here.

While trying to find a phone number for the fire department, the doorbell rang. It was my good friend and neighbor. The alarm system had also called her and told her to come check on us. After reassuring her we were fine and saying goodbye, I heard sirens. Oh no. They were coming. I was so embarrassed.

(This is the fire truck pulling away from the house- I took it through our foggy front window)

A couple of minutes later there was another knock on the door. It was the sheriff. I explained to him that everything was ok. He took down my name and birth date. Just as he was finishing up the fire truck pulled up in front of the house. The sheriff spared me more embarassment and explained to the fire department for me. If I hadn't been afraid of being hauled off to jail I would have told the sheriff I was just testing them to see what their response time would be.

The boys enjoyed having our unusual visitors today.


2 comments:

Daniel and Tiffany Ward said...

That is actually really awesome that you got such a great response. Sure, it wasn't a big deal, but at least you know that your system works really well!

Chelsea said...

it seems like you tell this so calmly and yet, it must have been total chaos and craziness. LOL